Many organisations set up Mentoring Programs with the aim of providing their people with access to the knowledge, skills and wisdom of more experienced managers and leaders. Mentoring helps staff accelerate their learning so they add greater value sooner, ensures valuable expertise and knowledge is passed on and, most importantly, improves staff engagement, satisfaction and retention.
But all too often, mentoring programmes fail to deliver because Mentors and Mentees are not entirely sure what’s expected of them, don’t know how often to meet and what to discuss, and what to do when the mentoring loses momentum or sessions get cancelled.
Speak First provides informative and practical workshops to maximise success. These are typically delivered for paired Mentors and Mentees – but can also be run for groups of Mentors or groups of Mentees on their own – to get the fledgling mentoring relationships off to the best possible start and have all the participants’ questions answered.
The session equips the Mentors with the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to help their Mentee develop and grow professionally – and prepares the Mentees to get the most out of the opportunity.
By the end of the session participants will:
- Know how mentoring works in their organisation and what to do when problems arise
- Understand the roles of the Mentor and Mentee and how best to work together
- Know the optimum way of scheduling and structuring meetings for success
- Understand how to have a clearly defined purpose and not just end up with a cosy chat
- Be able to avoid the most common mentoring pitfalls